Friday, January 26, 2007

Talk QWERTY to me

Have you ever sent a text message to somebody else in the same room as you? Have you ever referred to that indispensable tool at your side as a crackberry because of its addictive nature? Are you more likely to send a text message to somebody over a telephone rather than talk to them?

When I first heard of text messages, I thought it was the most stupid thing on earth. Here I am holding a telephone in my hand with a signal. I have something to say to somebody. Why would I not just call them and say hi, rather than hit a menu button to compose a new text message, and then hit, 44-33-555-555-666-#-22-666-222 just to say "Hello, Bob."

Then I realized the value of this.

Suppose all I wanted to do was say, "Hello, Bob," but Bob was a chatty one. No way I'm getting to fire off my "Hello, Bob," without hearing about his week, what's going on at home these days, what he's up to this weekend, what happened to his sister's best friend the other day at the mall, and whatever else may be on his mind.

Yes, it may take 2 seconds to say "Hello, Bob," versus 8-10 seconds to type 44-33-555-555-666-#-22-666-222, but think about it... You're not saying, "Hello, Bob," and hanging up. There's a far greater time commitment to this.

Or, how about if you do have more to say, but you are in the middle of a few things. Still, you do need to get the message out, and get some info back.

Much like email, you can respond at your leisure, without hearing, "Brian? You there still? Are you there?"

Ok. I get it now, totally.

If you do too, you may like the talk QWERTY to me shirt I just released.

No comments: